The Last Concubine by Lesley Downer


We have come to the 19th century's Japan where the civil war has just started. We get the pleasure to meet a small country girl called Sachi who is an adopted child and lives with her parents in a small village. Her parents own a hotel like place where many people with hih status stays when they are passing through.

One day they get the honour to house the princess of Japan, daughter of the Emperor who is to be married to the Shogun. When they arrive the princess sees Sachi and immediately takes her with her to the Shogun's palace. Here the princess gives her husband Sachi as a gift, to be his concubine. The last concubine in the Japanese history.

Even though Sachi is well aware of her duties as a concubine she falls in love with another man, and she also learns who her father is, and more about her history.

It is a thrilling story, and it is very difficult to put the book aside. How Downer have used real, historical facts and made a fiction story of them is amazing. While reading I could really see their lives in my mind. Their clothes, hair styles, their manners, everything. I love the old Japan and therefore this book was very interesting to read. I also really liked that I got to learn so much about Japan, and their 19th century, because I have learnt that very much of it all was true, and some things only had minor adjustments.

A great book of a great author, which I truly recommend. I hope you will enjoy it! I know I did, and therfore I give it 5/5 stars!

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Bokinlägg på gång

Stefan's Diaries av L.J. Smith